Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thursday 1 August 2013

Day 15 - Marazion, Praa Sands, Porthleven, Mullion Cove

Total: 294+m / Daily:21m  / Mist + Penetrating Damp / Nothing Much
One thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's entry was the area of St. Loy. An enchanting place, with a largely wooded valley full of conifer trees. The granite stoned houses were carefully hidden from the path by low arched trees turning the path into a covered walkway. Further on, the path appeared on the beach, a beach of large granite boulders with a lovely view back up the valley. This whole area was quite different from the norm of the difference between land and sea being the main feature, it was great.
This morning felt slow but it was brightened after seeing my first geocachers on the path replacing a cache under a bridge as I approached. I said what I was doing and how I'd looked up coastal caches and decided against it after seeing the number of search results. They began telling me about other ones they had found on the coast after gauging my geocaching knowledge, but I said 'no!' and walked on. (...however, I will be looking up finds on 31.07.13 for coastal caches between Marazion and Porthleven).
My £3.99 watch broke over a week ago which has been lovely. I can still  check the time on my phone if I want, but it means I'm not counting down distance based on speed all the time and it's a great conversation starter! I have been telling time based on where the sun is, but that has only given me 'day' or 'night' with today's mist and cloud cover. That also meant that the views this morning, which were suppposed to have a magical quality looking at the castle on St. Michael's Mount looked a little more ominous, impressive nontheless. I managed to get a good photo of a horse galloping along the beach with the island in the background and I waited at a railway crossing with the horse a little later, it was a little odd standing behind a barrier next to a horse!
My slightly more expensive £4.99 walking poles are also struggling. The screws which attach the handles in place have rusted and one of the screw tight adjustments has snapped. This means the end comes straight off but the adjuster is tight, nothing a little duct tape won't fix! This means when I put weight through it, the pole is working as normal, the tape only serves to hold it all together when I lift the pole up (need to be careful of mud).
Resupply in Porthleven gave me 5 more days food and meths for 2 weeks. The man in the builders merchant wanted a demo of the Pepsi stove but another customer arrived just in time. Pitched next to a memorial for the first transatlantic wireless transmission in the early 1900s between Cornwall and Newfoundland. Long grass meant I didn't bother with my sleeping mat and the super thick long grass supported me just like the Tempur Mattress adverts. It was rather windy and a family from New Mexico doubted my spot would be alright, I had faith in MSR (tent brand) but staked it down a little tighter just in case.
I had supper with a growing audience... (see the last two photos) and slept very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment