Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Day 27 - Babbacombe, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Starcross, Exmouth, Salterton

Monday 12th August
Total: 520+m  / Daily: 20m  / Cloudy clearing to Blue Skies /

The traffic was slow moving heading back towards Torquay/Babbacombe meaning an 11 o'clock start. I'm not fussed about walking far today but it would be frustrating to arrive at a river crossing after the ferry has stopped running.

I made the crossing over the River Exe with about 30 seconds to spare. I saw the ferry pulling up to the pontoon as I was walking down on the west side of the river. It was 5pm and my guide said the ferry ran until 6. However, I did start walking a little quicker thinking that it would save some time to have a break on the boat rather than on the pontoon and on the boat. The route to the ferry took 10 minutes winding in and out of the train station and I saw a man closing up the ferry crossing sales hut. I shouted over and it's just as well I did, it was their last crossing going to Exmouth and their last crossing of the day would return to Starcross where I was. Close one.
It was another day with a lot of concrete and promenade, but not as much of an issue as the other day because it was that little bit cooler. I met Andy going in the other direction who had been walking for about the same time as I have, walking over to the SWCP marker at Poole before setting out himself. Thank you for your donation. Also met Kevin who is aiming to walk the length. He warned me of Dorset and specifically the gradient, but a few well timed early mornings and it should be no worry.

I passed the start of the Jurassic Coast section which covers the next 95 miles of coast and contains evidence from millions of years of history. Climbing a zigzag path at the end of Exmouth there were fun fact signposts. It took a long time, but I didn't notice the hill and had a lot of fun. Clever Devon council.

No comments:

Post a Comment