Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 16 August 2013

Day 31 - Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay, Kimmeridge, Worth Matravers

Friday 16th August
Total: 614+m  / Daily: 22m  / Heavy Rain + Overcast  / Odd Day
(again, more published on yesterday's entry)

It was windy this morning, just as well I had staked my tent down properly. However, I have now learnt (from my mistake) how to take it down in high wind. Not disconnecting the material from the pole first was a huge mistake, the tent flew up in the air, the pole snapped and the material blew into (and impaled on) a nearby barbed wire fence. Not to worry, I can fix all damage and it will hold for one or two more nights for sure. I passed Duffle Door, Stair Hole and Lulworth Cove early with very few people people around. The mist was coming down and it had began to rain.

As the inclines grew steeper, the rain fell harder and I was actually tested at one point in Lulworth Military Range when I had a choice of path with no obvious way of distinguishing which was right. Visibility was about 10metres and following the path nearest the coast wasn't for sure the right option as there had been a turning earlier which wasn't the coast path (there was a sign that time). It wax raining hard and the strong wind high up meant that if I stopped moving I started getting cold (I think that is the first time I've used that word!). The path was slippery and I did fall once, fortunately my fall was cushioned by a tuft of grass. Anyway, I took the wrong path which in the end led to a 2 mile addition to the section. A map would have avoided this completely.

Strange place the military range: constant signage reminding walkers to stay on the path; regular no entry signs; wrecked tanks; APCs; trucks; large areas of black dead scrub, this was a serious range! Kimmeridge Bay was disappointing despite an impressive wildlife conservation centre hidden away in the bay. If the flags flying have pictures of coffee and ice cream, then it had better sell coffee and icecream! The only thing I could buy was conservation pencils, badges and other non edible paraphernalia...

Big diversion took me inland to Kimmeridge village and across a hill to Kingston. The pub on the way was a welcome break to dry off, warm up and feel a little more domesticated. This had been the most harsh weather yet but it calmed down as I tucked into beef and chorizo curry and the afternoon + evening walking was much more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment