Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 22 - Wembury, Mothecombe (Erme River) Bigbury-on-sea, Hope Cove

Wednesday 7th August
Total: 445+m  / Daily: 22m  / Blue Skies / Unexpected Surprises

Today was a big day, both in terms of miles and the thought had gone into it. Everything seemed to work and the timings were perfect. I got to the wade crossing at low tide and made the ferry before it stopped running 30 minutes later. I'm on track for the plan of Dartmouth by 2pm on Friday to get the bus to my day off.
I crossed three rivers today, by three different modes of transport. I arrived at Warren Point at 9am with the crossing service running from 10 and I'd even forced myself to stay in bed until 7:30 this morning. I was happily watching crabs scuttle around as the tide was going out when a lady, Jane rowed nearby and asked where I was going. I hadn't been paying much attention as there were a number of people rowing over to their yachts but Jane offered me a lift over to the other side! She explained how she often came out and 'pottered' on the water if it's a nice morning. Anyone who uses that word instantly has my attention, it really is a good word! A personal rowed boat ride across, what a fantastic start to the day.
The route then continued on a superb high level path which I motored along, only interupted by the inconsiderate land slippage diversion which sent me straight up the headland perpendicular to the water's edge.

Crossing two was the Erme river which I arrived at at low tide. I expected it to be remote but there was a relatively large number of people there considering there was no road access. The path was getting progressively steeper and there were some serious climbs in and around midday which weren't enjoyable. I did manage to fit in a 30 minute kip under a large hawthorn bush in the shade which broke the strenuous terrain.
I was caught up by a man who obviously knew the area and an experienced walker himself. Mike is a cartographer who started out producing orienteering maps and is now creating cycling and walking maps for the south east coast. I had many questions and we chatted whilst walking towards the 3rd and final crossing by boat ferry. Using orienteering map software, Mike creates very detailed 1:12500 maps based on Victorian maps as OS maps are protected by a lengthy copyright. fascinating! Thank you for your kind donation Mike. (http://www.croydecycle.co.uk/)

As we were just leaving the Thurlestone Sands area I heard a call of 'Al!'. I discarded the first for someone else but spun around on the second call to see Alice Bennett tearing down the path barefoot! I will be stopping in two days to visit her twin sister who is arriving on Friday, what an incredible coincidence. Alice happened to turn around and recognise me in the 15 second window I was walking past the sandy cove that she was sitting in with Chris and Maureen. The temptation to break early was definitely there, but I decided to continue as planned until Friday. It was still lovely to spend an hour or so sitting on the beach, chatting, catching up etc. and I looked forward to seeing you again soon! Thank you Alice and Chris for your kind donations.

My day ended in the Hope and Anchor pub:
Waitress: The second set of cutlery sir?
Me: No, no. That won't be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment