Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Sunday 4 August 2013

Day 18 - Mylor, Portscalo, Portloe

Saturday 3rd August
Total: 348+m  / Daily: 18m  / Blue Skies / Boat Ride
I forgot to elaborate on growling bushes from yesterday. I've been looking at the blackberry bushes for a while now, mostly green berries, some turning red but nothing black yet. However, yesterday I started seeing a few black berries. Assuming they'd all be bitter I ignored the temptation but one bush was covered with black, large, juicy looking berries. They were higher up and on top of the bush but I could reach, standing right up against it and leaning in slightly. It was at that point a heard a loud, deep growl from very close by. I have absolutely no idea what animal was there, but it was beside my feet and growling, I carried swiftly on!
_____
Showered, rested, dry and thoroughly content was my mood this morning. And that was before Ivor cooked up a storm. Breakfast bagels, with bacon, egg, peppers, mushroom, cheese & chilli sauce. Very American and very delicious. We left the dock mid morning with everyone coming for the ride. The guide gives details of the two ferries needed to cross the estuary. Only need one when the service is being provided for you! I said my goodbyes at Place and got back to it, psychologically prepared for a wet day after looking at Erica's iPad weather. Thank you very much to the Scott's for their hospitality.

Four hours into the baking sun I wondered where the rain was. Ah, those black clouds offshore probably have something to do with it... We'll see.
I walked until late looking for a spot to camp and ended up stumbling upon Gorran Haven. Not keen to walk through the village and out the other side, I pitched on the next flat patch of grass overlooking the harbour. 18 miles is too much for an 11am start, I was shattered and fell asleep very quickly not bothering to inflate my sleeping pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment