Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Sunday 4 August 2013

Day 19 - Gorran Haven, Mevagissey, Charlestown, Par

Sunday 4th August 
Total: 372+m / Daily: 18m / Rain / Requesting an Undulator

An undulator is an escalator which undulates. I needed one of these today as energy levels were a little low following the late nights and the repeated up and down was hard going. The undulator would be free of charge and provided by Cornwall County Council to encourage visitors to experience the stunning coastline it has to offer, specifically those who are unable to walk the path. The Undulator would be a world first and would move at a steady 3mph and be wide enough for two people, allowing users the option of standing or walking. There would be special platforms every 15 minutes which are covered are have hydraulic arms to keep the platform level. This could be used to set up a sleeping pad + bag, meaning that no time is wasted sleeping, based on 8 hours sleep a night, that's 24 miles! As you see from the amount of thought I put into it, I didn't appreciate the undulating coastline today.

It rained a fair amount today. Forecast has it clearing towards the end of the week and I managed to keep dry under waterproofs. Left foot did become a little damp which is worrying as there are no apparent holes in my boot, failed goretex? I'll see what happens tomorrow but my view or waterproof boots might be changing. I think I'm going to try something which isn't waterproof but does dry quickly in the future, that would also remove the need for overtrousers (if it's warm enough).

Yesterday was the first successful day that I didn't spend anything on 'non essentials'. I celebrated that success today with a full cooked breakfast and cream tea. Whoops! I'm funding the walk myself to enable all donations to go to Prostate Cancer in full and I've given myself the figure of approx. £100 per week to spend. This will cover food/ferry/cleaning but will certainly not stretch if I continue with the coffee and cake intake!

Cakes so far: coffee, coffee & walnut, lemon drizzle, date slice, chocolate, cream tea, apple and cider, millionaire shortbread, victoria sponge.
Slept in a wood on Gribbon Head just down from the Daymark tower. It was very windy and the trees provided welcome shelter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alan, I remember a couple of great holidays in Gorran Haven as a kid :-) Hope you're enjoying the SWCP and good luck with the rest of the trip. Huge challenge for a very worthy cause! Richard, Lucy and Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers guys, I'm getting there. Missing tennis though!

    ReplyDelete