Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 9 August 2013

Day 23 - Salcombe

Thursday 8th August
Total: 454+m  / Daily: 13m  / Blue Skies / More Surprises

I was taking it very slowly today, knowing that 16 miles would put me 10 miles from where I wanted to be tomorrow. Had I known what was planned I would have moved much faster! I took an hour off sitting in Salcombe eating second breakfast. Kate had recommended a bakery and I saw a lot of people in the town with brown bakery bags. When I got there, the queue was ten strong out of the door, a good reason alone to join! Cheese twist and pain au chocolat for breakfast was an interesting mix, but I wasn't complaining.

A further hour off for lunch, and afternoon nap for an hour meant it was 3 and I'd done 13. I met back up with Mike (see yesterday) who was revising his Salcombe-Torcross map and also met a couple of men who were doing a week walking (a stage of a bigger SWCP walk over a few years) with what appeared to be matching gear. A 2.5 mile diversion due to the path being 'impassable' would have added a further hour on, but fortunately gardens are not impassable and the kind lady in said garden said she wouldn't look as I took literally 30 steps around the landslip instead of thousands on the official route.

Coming up towards First Point lighthouse someone said 'hello' and I instantly recognised the voice. Becks was standing on the hillside in the middle of nowhere (in my mind) with a grin on her face! Further up were my mum and dad and they are all here until Monday! What a surprise, it was so completely unexpected! Mum always has liked her surprises and the waitress gave away part of another surprise later saying we were at a table of 6 tomorrow evening! Whoops, I don't know who though.

This opens up all sorts of questions and decisions to make about what to do over the next few days. These will propably be mentioned in tomorrow but I will still be taking my day off as planned and will be heading over to Loddiswell as planned. But for now, I'm wearing a collared shirt and nice shorts, I even used hair gel before going down to supper in the restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment