Donate

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Saturday 17 August 2013

Day 32 - Swanage, South Haven Point, Poole Harbour

Saturday 17th August
Total: 630.4m  / Daily: 12m  / Blue Skies / The End

Yesterday afternoon turned out calm, so calm that I actually got a shock from a sheep which bleated unexpectedly! I wandered on past the turn off for the village knowing I had plenty of water for supper and was hit by a continuous flight of 219 stairs. I think that is the longest on the SWCP, not the highest climb, but the most stairs (look closely at the rise on the left of the darker photo below). Later I found a rocky cove where 10+ people were swimming. Once closer, I could see that the 15 onlookers were all in formal clothes, a strange sight for the coast path but there was a wedding party staying in a lodge up the track. I felt perfectly comfortable walking past in my somewhat worn attire, safe in the knowledge that they were the anomaly despite the ratio of people suggesting otherwise...
I received donations yesterday from a number of different people and would like to thank Jane & Steve and Eve for taking an interest in my walk and for their support.
____
I saw a red deer as I was setting up camp, the first I've seen in weeks. Later, as dusk turned to darkness, I crept towards the area the deer had ran into. I didn't see it again but I could hear lots of noise in the bushes, a family perhaps? There was no sound as I left this morning.
Few miles to Swanage where I found Hayman's Bakery and a coffee. With 7 miles to the end marker and an entire day ahead, I was happy to wait for the fresh pain au chocolat to arrive. Peter (Hayman) seemed surprised that I wasn't feeling tired and worn, it's normal life that does that to you! Thank you for your support Peter.

Just a brief saunter around Old Harry Rocks, past the nudist beach and I'll be at the finish marker. It all feels rather bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment